Pit Bull Infographic: Stat, Facts, Myths
Pit bulls are often associated with aggressive behavior, but the truth is that they can be gentle and loving dogs. In fact, pit bulls were once known as “nanny dogs” because they were so good with children.
However, pit bulls do have a strong bite, and they can be aggressive if not properly trained and socialized. That’s why it’s important to do your research before getting a pit bull, and to be sure that you can provide the dog with a good home.
Pit bulls are also very intelligent dogs, and they can be trained to do tricks, obedience, and even agility. So if you’re looking for a smart and loyal companion, a pit bull might be the right dog for you.
Here are some pit bull infographics with facts and statistics about these dogs:
Pit bulls are often misunderstood dogs. They have a bad reputation, but the truth is that they can be gentle and loving companions. Here are some facts and statistics about pit bulls to help.
Share this Image On Your Site
Prefer to read text. Here is a breakdown of the information summaried in the Infographic
What Is A Pit Bull?
Pit Bull” refers not to a single breed but a group of breeds, including the American Pit Bull Terrier, American
Staffordshire Terrier, the Stafford-shire Bull Terrier, among others.
The Pitbull originated from pairings of the ancestors we now call the Olde English Bulldogge and Terriers.
Interesting Pitbull Statistics
- 4.5 million pit bulls in the US alone.
- The breed consistently scores more than 85% on temperament tests.
- Pit Bull statistics in 2022 show that 40% of Pit Bulls in shelters are euthanized each year.
- In WWI, a Pit Bull named Stubby earned 13 decorations and the rank of a sergeant.
- Between 2013 and 2021, 20 States confirmed that pit bulls were involved in most bite incidents.
- Pit Bulls were also responsible for 39 dog bite-related deaths in 2019.
- Pit Bulls are abused more than any other dog breed.
- You’re 213% more likely to get a severe injury from a Pit Bull than other dog breeds.
- In 94% of the attacks involving Pit Bulls, the dogs were male and not neutered.
- On average, between 2005 and 2019, there were between 30–40 fatal dog bite attacks per year.
- On the average, pitbull can live as long as 14 years.
Types of Pit bulls
American Pit Bull Terrier: The tallest and most athletic of the pit bull types. They are the direct descendants of the dogs who came over from the UK.
American Bully: A squat, stocky dog that was first developed in the 1980s and ’90s. They have a wider head than the average pit bull.
American Staffordshire Terrier: Slightly shorter and heavier than the American Terrier, this is perhaps the most playful pit bull.
Staffordshire Terrier: The smallest in length and weight of the pit bulls, the Staffordshire is considered a loyal pet that favors being around people.
Myths About Pit bulls You Should Top Believing
- They do not have locking jaws. This is a myth!
- Pit bulls are one breed. There are different types of pit bulls from blue nose pitbulls, red nose pitbulls and more
- Pitbull-type dogs are not ‘more dangerous’ than other breeds of similar sizes and strengths
- Most dog-related incidents involve pit bulls
- Pit bulls have often been misidentified and erroneously counted in statistics on dog-related incidents.
- Pit bulls are only bred for fighting: While some pit bulls have historically been bred for fighting, others were bred for work and companionship
9 Interesting Facts About Pit bulls
A: Both President Teddy Roosevelt and President Woodrow Wilson owned Pit Bull terriers.
B: Pit Bulls pass their temperment test—conducted by a trained handler—87% of the time.
C:They have the most balanced character of most canine breeds
D:Its fingerprints are on its nose
E:Its skin is more sensitive than other dogs
F:Hulk, the biggest pit bull in the world
G:They are not considered good watchdogs
I:The possession of a pit bull is prohibited in some countries
J:Pit bull dogs are not a single breed
Pitbull Bloodlines You Should Know
- Colby Pitbull
- Old Family Red Nose Pitbull
- Razor’s Edge Pit Bull
- Gator Mouth Pitbulls
- Ruffian Pitbull Bloodline
- X-Pert Bloodline
- Jeep Bloodline
- Gottiline Pitbulls
- Carver Bloodline
- Budweiser Crusher Bloodline
Do you love pit bulls? What breed of pit bull is your favourite?
Ryan is a service dog puppy raiser/trainer and founder of The Pit Bull Center, a dedicated Pitbull blog that has been visited by tens of millions of people since its inception.